Friday, September 4, 2009

Drop Spine Box Kit: DIY

Drop Spine Box Kit

For my lovely package swap I decided to make this drop spine box from a kit, which they sell at Paper Source (one of my favorite stores). You buy the kit and then you have to buy a piece of decorate paper and a piece of book cloth. All together this project turned out to be under $15, which I found completely worth it after the end result.

The contents of the kit and the glue I used, "Magic-Mend"
 
 At first I was a little nervous considering on the package it says: "Time to Complete: Approximately 3.5 hours "(which it did, about 3 for me, but I stopped half way for a margarita and quesadilla break) and "Level of Difficulty: Requires experienced cutting, gluing and hand skills" (which I guess I have from art school, because the box came out great, but I don't think this would be too hard for someone as long as they are not a child).

The first thing you do is to build your tray, which the directions technically said to do after cutting out the paper, but this worked out better because this way the tray has plenty of time to dry. To assemble the tray you just glue the given pieces of cardboard together with glue, the kit said to use PVA (but I used Magic-Mend which does have PVA in it), you could probably use any glue that won't make the paper bubble as it dries.





After assembling the box it was time to cut out all the pieces of the decorative paper and book cloth. The kit tells you the sizes to cut the pieces and how to arrange them on the paper so all the pieces will fit. I used an exacto blade and my t-square to do this.

After I cut out the pieces of paper the kit instructed to construct the cover. This pretty much just requires some gluing and measuring nothing too difficult just patience. After doing this part I took a break and I recommend you doing the same the kit says the next part is the hardest (which wasn't that bad I was expecting a struggle) so the break was at a good point. 




After enjoying my margarita and quesadilla I worked on wrapping the tray. For this you had to glue one side of the tray onto the decorative paper at a time and then wrap the rest of the paper around gluing each side as you go. After that you have to cut the paper to create flaps so the paper goes inside and around the bottom. This sounds confusing but the directions that come with the kit were very detailed and well explained so this was simple. You then glue on the remaining pieces of the decorate paper onto the tray so that the whole tray is covered in your pretty decorative paper.


Finally you glue the tray to the cover and then set it to dry.

All done! I was really happy with they way this came out and hope to make another one in the future. I kept my directions because I am thinking I can now save money and instead of buying the second kit I can just use the measurements provided and buy some thick cardboard and cut it to the specific sizes need. Therefore saving myself the money I spent on the kit. I highly recommend making one of these beauties, it would be a perfect gift, you could even fill it with candy or something else wonderful.

11 comments:

  1. the box came out really nice! i want one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty!! Nice color combo ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it possible for you to post the directions to the drop spine box. i am currently making my first one and am stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for posting this! i am making one and referenced your awesome photos to make sure i was doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I wish for to subscribe for this webpage
    to get latest updates, thus where can i do it please help.


    Here is my web site; Read �

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article. I am going through a few of these issues as well.
    .

    my website - quick home equity loans Bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  7. My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.

    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on various
    websites for about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform.

    I have heard very good things about blogengine.net.
    Is there a way I can import all my wordpress
    content into it? Any help would be really appreciated!

    Check out my page Wolontariat Europejski

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you wish for to grow your familiarity just keep visiting this website and be updated with the most up-to-date gossip posted
    here.

    My page ... Winning Options That Make You Succeed In On The Web Small Business -.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello mates, good paragraph and good arguments commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying by these.


    My webpage :: Akribos watches

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's perfect time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or tips.
    Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I desire to read even more things about it!


    Here is my web-site ... akribos xxiv watches for women

    ReplyDelete