Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Be Inspired: A Couple to Adore


Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward were married for 50 years (til his death in 2008).

When asked why he never strayed Paul famously said, "Why fool around with hamburger when you have steak at home?"

When Paul was asked on the success of his collaborations with his wife Joanne on screen he said, "You should see when we get back to the bedroom".

"I've repeatedly said that for people as little in common as Joanne and myself, we have an uncommonly good marriage. We are actors. We make pictures and that's about all we have in common. Maybe that's enough. Wives shouldn't feel obligated to accompany their husbands to a ball game, husbands do look a bit silly attending morning coffee breaks with the neighborhood wives when most men are out at work. Husbands and wives should have separate interests, cultivate different sets of friends and not impose on the other...You can't spend a lifetime breathing down each other's necks." Paul Newman

When Paul was asked about his long marriage to Joanne he said, "We are very, very different people and yet somehow we fed off those varied differences and instead of separating us, it has made the whole bond a lot stronger."

"Joanne has always given me unconditional support in all my choices and endeavors, and that includes my race car driving, which she deplores. To me, that's love." Paul

"Being married to Paul is being married to the most considerate, romantic man." Joanne


PS. I know I'm not the first blog to write
about them, but I had to add my two cents.
All images via Google

3 comments:

  1. *sigh* you are making me all emotional reading this post! every couple should strive to try to be like paul and joanne. so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are one of my favorite couples! I have 2 of the pics saved in my favorites already, i just love the way he looks at her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I have a love story as wonderful as theirs one day. God he was handsome! Great quotes. I hadn't ever read a lot of them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete