Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Favorite Characters from Books

After doing the post of my favorite characters from film I started thinking about my favorite characters from books and the words that brought them to life.

Atticus Fitch
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The ultimate dad and a man who knows justice.
"It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived. " Scout

"The one place where a man ought to get a square deal is in a courtroom, be he any color of the rainbow, but people have a way of carrying their resentments right into a jury box. As you grow older, you'll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don't you forget it - whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash." Atticus Fitch

"If you just learn a single trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it" Atticus Fitch


Albus Pervical Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
The best teacher a kid can have, a great heart and never too serious.
"Do no pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love." Dumbledore

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." Dumbledore

"I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me...Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

"No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazine," said Dumbledore. "I do love knitting patterns."


Owen Meany
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
A true spirt, and the best friend a guy can have.
"I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice-not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany." The opening sentence of the book describing Owen and the narrators relationship with him.

"The only way you can get Americans to notice anything is to tax them or draft them or kill them." Owen Meany


Jacob Jankowski
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
An angry old man with an incredible story.
"Age is a terrible thief. Just when you're getting the hang of life, it knocks your legs out from under you and stoops your back. It makes you ache and muddies your head and silently spreads cancer throughout your spouse." Jacob

"With a secret like that, at some point the secret itself becomes irrelevant. The fact that you kept it does not." Jacob



Morrie Schwartz (I know he isn't a fictional character but I love him so)
Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
"Dying is only one thing to be sad over..Living unhappily is something else." Morrie

"It's not to late to...ask yourself if you really are the person you want to be, and if not, who you do want to be." Morrie

"Learn how to live and you'll known how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live." Morrie

"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie


All these books are amazing and some of my favorites. If you haven't read them I highly recommend them.

All images via Google.

6 comments:

  1. you seem to like the older, wise characters. but i have to say, i also love dumbledore! r.i.p. dumbledore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest in peace Dumbledore indeed. And ironic I was just about to add Elizabeth Bennett to your list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww i really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post! I think I am the only one who has yet to read/see the Harry Potter books & movies. Although I am a huge fan of J.K. Rowling's story of tribulation & success!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gregory Peck did a marvelous job in that Black and White movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jacob Jankowski and Marlena!!
    Great story!!

    ReplyDelete