Monday, April 5, 2010

Favorite Spaces: Edition Two


Second up in my favorite spaces is the Robert and Arelene Kogod Courtyard inWashington DC. Located in the National Portrait Gallery was designed by Foster and Partners.





The modern and elegant glass canopy give a perfect juxtaposition to the Greek Revival buildings. " The design was driven by a deep respect for the existing building. It was decided that it should not touch the building at any point-floating above it instead, like a cloud over a courtyard", says Forster.



The courtyard is one of the largest event spaces in Washington. When I took my trip to DC last May I sat in awe on a marble bench staring up at the canopy above my head. Now looking back I can imagine attending a wonderful event under the cloud like structure. Although the space is a little vast for a wedding, I sure it would be a modern and wonderful location for one.


The classic architecture meeting the modern in the sky seems so surreal. The next time I find myself in DC I will surely be once again sitting under the canopy in awe of the space around me. If you ever find yourself in DC, this is a must in my opinion.

All images via Google and Me

3 comments:

  1. amazing architechture. i see why you're so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there! I'm not sure if you saw but you won my giveaway! http://www.iamstyle-ish.com/2010/04/what-im-currently.html

    Please email me with your mailing address and we'll get the earrings sent out to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this kind of blog always useful for blog readers, it helps people during research. your post is one of the same for blog readers.

    buy Thesis Papers

    ReplyDelete