Monday, May 31, 2010

The Young Victoria


After waiting what seemed like a century to see The Young Victoria I finally got to watch it last night. It was just perfection. There were so many good movies this award season it is fantastic to be able to see them slowly as they come out on DVD. Young Victoria was just a delight.

The movie tells the story of Queen Victoria as she rises to the throne and the beginnings of her relationship with Prince Albert. Not knowing much about Queen Victoria's reign or life this was a great insight into a wonderful woman.

The film's cinematography is to be envied, every screen shot is to be savored. There is this wonderful repeating element of mirrors throughout the film. The characters are either moving in front of them with the mirrors behind or they are directly looking into the mirrors, examining their inner and outer beauty.

The costumes are a major character in the film and just highlight the richness and drama of the feature. The characters come alive and become more real with them. Between the costumes and sets I just wanted to live in the film for a few days.

Emily Blunt was just fantastic as the Queen. Having only seeing her in a few modern movies it was great to see her relish in a costume drama. Queen Victoria seemed like such a modern strong woman in time where she was not respected.

If you are a fan of costume dramas or perfectly romantic movie you should definitely check out The Young Victoria.


9 comments:

  1. You make period pieces sound so enchanting. Must see. Thanks forsuchgreat descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to drop a note I changed my url, I'm no longer summer is my favorite, I hope you still follow me!
    xo
    hercurrentobsession.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see this movie!! I really gotta rent it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanted to see this- love period films and Emily Blunt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 任何你憂慮的事,你都應該去採取一點行動,不要只是在那邊想........................................

    ReplyDelete