Monday, June 21, 2010

Favorite Spaces: Edition Five



Phillips Exeter Academy's Library by Louis Kahn
Exeter NH


This is hands down my favorite space I have ever had the honor to step foot in. Louis Kahn is an architectural genius and I hope to some day step foot in more of his buildings.


Louis Kahn designed the library for Phillips Exeter Academy in 1972. The library is a typical of Kahn's monolithic architecture. Kahn loved two things beside architecture; books and school, he felt those two things to be sacred. Books were Kahn's most treasured possessions and his library showcases that love. Kahn not only created a space that houses books but houses the people that read these books.


"The book is an offering...The library tells you of this offering."
Louis Kahn

While standing in this space I just felt awe. There was something ethereal and moving about the space. Wondering through the space I found little spaces of seclusion although the building has many vast rooms. I can't even put into words how amazing this space is to me. Louis Kahn is my favorite architect and this building just shows his attention to detail and light.

I found this amazing video while looking for images for this post and it is just incredible. It really gives you the feeling of the space and the gorgeous flittering of light through it.

Kahn's Exeter Short Film from Alex Roman on Vimeo.

All images via Google

1 comment:

  1. the video is actually modelled and rendered in a computer. took 3 months.

    ReplyDelete