Monday, July 19, 2010

A Single Man


This weekend I finally caught up with the rest of the world and saw A Single Man. The movie starring Colin Firth follows the day after Firth's character, George, loses his partner of over 16 years. The movie is stream of consciousness thats allows the viewers to understand George's pain and moments of clarity.

A Single Man is Tom Ford's directoral debut but it feels like Ford has been directing for years, as every screen shot is like a spread in Vogue. Ford's attention to detail and composition makes the movie not only emotionally moving but physically.

Firth reminded me why he continues to enchant me. Every character he plays is complex and layered thanks to his subtle facial expressions and commitment to the characters. Firth's George is heartbreakingly sad but he excels when he shows his few moments of absolute clarity and joy.

The soundtrack is just another lovely layer to this film. The set of wonderful scores, mixed with 60s charms like Etta James and a hit of opera lifts the film up to a level of perfection.

I highly recommend watching A Single Man and falling in love with its nuances.


Click * for image sources

2 comments:

  1. I really want to see this!! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soo need to see this. You caught up with the rest of the world.. oh man I must be really behind. LOL!

    ReplyDelete